Makes: 12-14 tacos | Prep time: 20 min. | Cook time: 20 min.
1 x 14 oz.
- Make pickling liquid by combining water, vinegar, sugar, salt and cilantro in a bowl and mix well to dissolve sugar and salt.
- Add grated carrots to pickling liquid and allow to marinate in refrigerator for at least 1 hour, or as much as 24 hours.
- Remove defrosted Wagyu from refrigerator and pat dry with paper towel to remove any excess moisture.
- Heat heavy bottom sauté pan over medium flame.
- If desired, season Wagyu with kosher or sea salt and fresh cracked black pepper.
- Place Wagyu in heated pan (no need to add oil as natural fat from steak will be enough to cook), and sear on first side 1-2 min until golden brown and flip steak. Allow steak to cook 1-2 minutes more. Be sure to also sear steak on all rounded edges for 1 minute each to completely sear.
Note: Cook steak 1-2 minutes per side for a rare steak; 3-4 minutes per side for medium rare.
- Remove steaks from pan and place on cutting board to rest for 5-10 minutes
- Remove pan from flame, drain off all the fat from pan, and gently wipe pan with a paper towel. Place corn tortillas in pan, 1-2 at a time, and toast for 20-30 seconds to warm through and toast lightly. Using tongs, carefully remove toasted corn tortillas from pan, and continue to toast remaining tortillas
- Slice rested Wagyu steaks into thin strips
- Build your tacos- top each corn tortilla with pickled carrots, fresh cilantro sprigs, and sliced wagyu
- Make ‘rainbow’ pickled carrots using a colorful variety of carrots.
- Add different components to your taco, such as Pico de Gallo, guacamole, Cotija cheese, etc.
- Save drained Wagyu fat and reserve for later use as you would butter or oil- sauté vegetables, roast potatoes, or baste other meats to add an unexpected umami element.
Jan 28, 2022